Publishing Consultant specializing in marketing, product development, and business development for digital resources
After a successful 23-year career publishing career working in sales and marketing roles for academic and professional publishers, I set up OnlyConnect Consultancy in 2008. I have specialized in digital publishing for the last 19 years, since establishing the Online Products sales and marketing department at Oxford University Press in 1999.
Over the last 10 years as a Consultant:
- I have worked on a wide range of marketing, digital publishing and business development projects for academic and educational publishers including Bloomsbury Digital Resources and SAGE Publishing.
- I have promoted digital resources from many publishers since 2013 in my ongoing role as Marketing Consultant for JCS Online Resources, an intermediary specialising in the provision of e-resources to schools, further education colleges and public libraries.
- I have also worked for library organizations, negotiating pricing and licence agreements with publishers on behalf of libraries, and launching and managing eLibrary projects, such as the landmark EIFL eLibrary Myanmar project.
I am a Certified EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) Practitioner, and a member of the UKSG’s new Outreach and Engagement Sub-Committee.
Prior to becoming a Consultant, I worked for 9 years at Oxford University Press (OUP). As Sales and Marketing Director for Online Products, I was responsible for maximising sales to libraries and library consortia outside the Americas. I also worked on the development and launch of award-winning e-resources such as the Oxford English Dictionary Online (OUP’s first non-journal e-resource), Oxford Scholarship Online and the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography Online. Read more about my work at OUP.
- Bloomsbury Digital Resources
- JCS Online Resources
- Bloomsbury Academic/Berg Publishers
- SAGE Publications
- BAR Publishing
- Palgrave Macmillan
- Oxford University Press
- Encyclopedia Britannica
- Credo Reference
- London Review of Books
Projects and services include:
- Marketing strategy, planning, and campaigns
- Advising on branding/rebranding
- Advising on the new EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
- Writing copy for digital products – including About, Help and Subscriber Services sections
- Writing copy about digital products for marketing websites
- Copywriting, design, and print production of marketing materials
- Content marketing
- Social media
- Updating websites (Drupal, WordPress)
Sales and business development
- Advising on pricing models and licence agreements for digital resources
- Negotiating with library consortia
- Reviewing sales and marketing processes, and making recommendations
- Researching opportunities for new digital resources
- Preparing and/or providing input into proposals and business cases for new digital resources
- Advising on the development of new online products to maximise discoverability and usage
- Reviewing existing digital resources, and recommending enhancements
Prior to setting up OnlyConnect Consultancy, I worked for 9 years at Oxford University Press (OUP) from 1999-2007.
- Starting out as Marketing Manager responsible for the launch of the Oxford English Dictionary Online (OUP’s first non-journal e-resource) in 2000, I built a new online products department (including sales, marketing and customer support staff) from scratch.
- As Sales and Marketing Director for Online Products, I was responsible for maximising sales to all types of libraries and library consortia in all regions outside North and South America.
- In addition to the Oxford English Dictionary Online, I worked on the development and launch of a wide range of award-winning digital resources including Oxford Dictionary of National Biography Online, Oxford Scholarship Online, Oxford Reference Online, Grove Art Online, and Grove Music Online.
- In 2007, I was one of three candidates shortlisted for the Kim Scott-Walwyn prize which recognises “outstanding achievements by women in publishing”. This was in recognition of the landmark and highly successful agreement which I negotiated with the Museums, Libraries and Archives Council, and which resulted in 97% of English public libraries subscribing to at least three OUP e-resources.
Susanna has the instincts of a pioneer, looking to create new ways to do things, willing to experiment, and able to get talented people to join in to build something worthwhile.
She communicates excitement about products but is also rigorous about getting things right – the message, the relationship, the brand, or the way the product works.
And her high standards are put into action with great commercial judgement and a willingness to take risks.ROBERT FABER, formerly Director, Oxford English Dictionary and Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, Oxford University Press
I have worked with Susanna in several different capacities in online publishing over the years, most recently during a consultancy project she undertook for the new Bloomsbury Digital Resources division.
She is a very creative person offering great expertise in developing, marketing and selling digital products.
I have always been impressed with her work, and have recommended her to colleagues and contacts alike.JONATHAN GLASSPOOL, Managing Director, Bloomsbury Academic
I’ve worked with Susanna since 2008, first on the launch of the government-funded JISC Collections for Schools project and then, when it became my company, at JCS Online Resources.
Her skills are wide ranging – from branding and strategy to copywriting, design, websites and social media. But she doesn’t just excel at marketing.
She is also a fantastic ‘ideas’ person, and her involvement in business development has proved invaluable. I’ve learned so much from Susanna, and JCS wouldn’t be the company it is without her significant contribution.JOYCE MARTIN, Managing Director, JCS Online Resources
Susanna has undertaken a number of projects for us, and it is always inspiring working with her. She is very creative, bubbling with good ideas, and she is also a very clear and incisive thinker.
She spots opportunities for new and existing digital products, is solution focused, and is open and flexible in her approach. She has worked solo on projects, and also collaboratively within a team. She works reliably to deadlines, and presents really clear reports.
It is always a pleasure to work with her.Karen Phillips, SVP Global Learning Resources, SAGE Publishing